There’s nothing more exciting than preparing for your little ones’ arrival.
Here are five things I suggest you do before your baby arrives:
- Batch cook some of your favourite meals. In the first few weeks after birth, it’s important that you eat well and having some meals that you can pull out of the freezer will be really helpful when your hands are full!
- Practise putting your pram up and down and in and out of the car so they first time you take your little one out it doesn't feel as daunting.
- Put your baby’s car seat in and out of the car so you are comfortable you know how to do it safely.
- Do a two-hour paediatric first aid course - Daisy First Aid will come to your house and teach you all you would need to know in case of an emergency.
- Buy a lockable medicine box, I like this one. It’s something that you will definitely need at some stage, and when you need it you won't want to wait for it to arrive, especially as babies often spike temperatures during the night.
Start by buying a digital thermometer and purchase the rest as and when you can.
Here are the products I recommend having stocked in your children's medicine box:
🔸 Calpol (2 months +)
🔸 Nurofen (3 months +)
🔸 Piriton (1 year +)
🔸 Anbesol Liquid for babies (5 months +)
🔸 Nuk Nasal Decongester - Helps to clear mucous from baby's nose
🔸 Sterimar Breathe Easy Baby - Use alongside the nasal decongester
🔸 Snuffle Pillow Mist 6m+ - Spray this on your little one's pyjamas and their bedding to help unblock their airways. Use the code LOUENNA10 for 10% off.
🔸 Metanium Nappy Rash Ointment - Use regularly as soon as nappy rash appears
🔸 Vicks Baby Rub (6 months +)
🔸 Eurax Cream - An anti-itch cream for bites, stings etc
🔸 Arnica tablets - For bruises, let your children chew them like a sweetie.
🔸 Arnica Cream - For bruises
🔸 Cool pack - To reduce swelling on a bump or to relieve itching
🔸 Savlon Antiseptic Cream - Helps cuts and grazes from becoming infected
🔸 Bicarbonate of Soda - Pour in the bath to relieve nappy rash stinging
🔸 Antiseptic Wipes - Prevents cuts and grazes from becoming infected
🔸 Kool N Soothe Kids Fever - (12 months +)
🔸 Dioralyte - To rehydrate if dehydrated due to illness
🔸 Olbas Oil Children - Decongestant oil to help little ones breathe easier
🔸 Calpol Night Plug - (3 months +) - Helps to clear and ease breathing
🔸 Tweezers - For splinters
Louenna, or nanny Louenna as she is known to many, is a highly qualified nanny and maternity nurse. Growing up in Norfolk as the eldest of four siblings, with a natural love for babies and children from a young age, she always knew she wanted to be a nanny. Since graduating from the prestigious Norland College over eighteen years ago, she has worked all over the world for several high profile and royal families. Each time striving to enrich the lives of the many babies and children she has cared for.
Louenna considers it a huge privilege to have worked with such wonderful families and really believes she has the best job in the world. The award winning Louenna app was created in 2020, to guide parents through the incredible journey of parenthood. From what to buy for your newborn, to feeding, bathing, sleep routines, potty training, language development and so much more.
Whatever your question or concern, there is simple and practical advice available at your fingertips 24/7 with the Louenna app - helping families create a happy, healthy and thriving child.
Louenna has since launched Louenna’s Nannies - a nanny agency with a difference, mentoring the nannies that she places with families.